Standard Telephone (Voice) Users
Voice users (those who are able to hear and speak clearly) can use their standard telephone or mobile phone to connect with Maryland Relay users. No special equipment is needed, and there is no charge to use Maryland Relay!
To Call a Maryland Relay User:
- Dial 7-1-1 or 800-201-7165 to initiate your call.
- A Maryland Relay Operator will greet you and provide his/her Operator identification number.
- The Operator will ask you for the number you wish to call. If you know, please indicate the type of Relay call you would like to make (for example, “I am calling a Voice Carry-Over user"). You can also set up a Customer Profile, which automatically connects you to the appropriate Operator and lets him/her know your calling preferences.
- Once you are connected, the Operator will relay your conversation word for word. Say "Go Ahead" or "GA" each time you have finished speaking. This lets the Operator know that you are ready for the Relay user's reply. Click here to see a list of commonly used TTY abbreviations.
- If the person you are calling speaks for himself/herself, you will hear his/her voice over the phone. If that person does not speak for himself/herself, the Operator will voice the person’s typed response to you.
- If you would like to make another call, do not hang up. The Operator will remain on the line, ready to assist you, the moment your prior conversation ends.
Maryland Relay Partner Program
Businesses that are unfamiliar with Maryland Relay often accidentally hang up on Relay callers who may be valuable customers. The Maryland Relay Partner program is designed to eliminate these missed connections. The program provides businesses with free Relay call training to employees, as well as free support materials. Learn more about our Relay Partner program.