E-mail Encryption (Virtru)
E-mail encryption capabilities are available as an extension of the Google Chrome Browser. Users can encrypt email that is composed and sent from their maryland.gov account. Recipients can also read encrypted email in a secure web-based viewer.
Service Level Objective (SLO):
Virtru has a 99.9% uptime service level objective; excluding planned outages, maintenance windows and unavoidable events.
Features and Benefits:
- Data-Centric Security
- Object-Level Encryption
- Military-grade encryption (AES-256) provides object-level protection for emails, files, and other data.
- Protections Everywhere: On the Device and the Server
- Encrypt emails and files on the client to protect data before it leaves your device. Or use Virtru Network Data Protection solutions for outbound and inbound encryption.
- Developed using the open source Trusted Data Format (TDF) and other open encryption and data protection software standards, such as KMIP.
- Customer-Hosted Keys
- Enables compliance with privacy data protection regulations such as HIPAA, CJIS, FERPA, Sarb-Ox, GLBA, PCI, FINRA, and EAR, as well as data residency requirements
- Protect emails and files from the time of creation throughout their lifetime – no matter where they’re shared.
- Users and administrators decide who can access their content and for how long. Audit access in real time.
- Revoke access at any time – even after emails and files have been shared or opened.
- See when someone shares your content, and prevent forwarding at any time.
- Organization-Wide Controls Data Loss Prevention (DLP) by setting rules to automatically protect sensitive content before it leaves or enters your organization.
- Classify emails and files based on their contents to support data protection actions.
- Supports E-Discovery
Eligible: All State Agencies additionally, non-maryland.gov agencies may utilize this service by contacting Virtru.com and utilizing the state contract.
Availability (Uptime): 24 hours / 365 days
Standard Support Hours: 7am – 9pm Monday- Friday
Exceptions: The Service Desk is not available during State Holidays or Service Reduction Days
Response (to incident) Time: Within two hours during normal operating hours.
Resolution (of incident) Time: Best Effort, depending on complexity
Maintenance Windows: Sundays and as scheduled and announced through the Service Desk
Security: Authentication through email
Business Critical Service: Yes; Recovery Time Objective– 24 hours